19 December, 2016

I’m a scientist who has gotten death threats. I fear what may happen under Trump


Michael E. Mann is a professor of atmospheric science and director of the Earth System Science Center at Penn State University. He co-authored, with Washington Post cartoonist Tom Toles, “The Madhouse Effect: How Climate Change Denial Is Threatening Our Planet, Destroying Our Politics, and Driving Us Crazy.”

Donald Trump’s pick of Scott Pruitt for
Environmental Protection Agency
administrator is just one of many ominous signs.
My Penn State colleagues looked with horror at the police tape across my office door.

I had been opening mail at my desk that afternoon in August 2010 when a dusting of white powder fell from the folds of a letter. I dropped the letter, held my breath and slipped out the door as swiftly as I could, shutting it behind me. First I went to the bathroom to scrub my hands. Then I called the police.

It turned out to be cornstarch, not anthrax. And it was just one in a long series of threats I’ve received since the late 1990s, when my research illustrated the unprecedented nature of global warming, producing an upward-trending temperature curve whose shape has been likened to a hockey stick.

Read the opinion piece by Michael E. Mann in The Washington Post - “I’m a scientist who has gotten death threats. I fear what may happen under Trump.”

No comments:

Post a Comment