29 June, 2017

Climate scientists reveal their fears for the future

Cradling her newborn baby girl, heatwave expert Sarah Perkins Kirkpatrick admits to feeling torn between the joy of motherhood and anxiety over her first-born child's future.

Climate scientist Dr Sarah Perkins
Kirkpatrick and her baby girl.
"I always wanted a big family and I'm thrilled. But my happiness is altered by what I know is coming with climate change," she said.

"I don't like to scare people but the future's not looking very good.

"Having a baby makes it personal. Will this child suffer heatstroke just walking to school?”

Dr Perkins Kirkpatrick is one of several climate scientists who Lateline spoke to, seeking a range of opinions from experts at some of the top climate change research units within major universities in Australia.


Read Kerry Brewster’s ABC News story - “Climate scientists reveal their fears for the future.”

No comments:

Post a Comment