17 May, 2018

My daughter is right: our generation is wrecking the world for hers

The car is where I’ve discovered most about my parenting.
 ‘Those of us gen X-ers in our early to mid-50s inhabit a
 world that is vastly more dangerous and uncertain than
the one we were bequeathed.’ 
There was that time when I, a very young father, oh-so-briefly and absentmindedly left Number One Daughter in her baby capsule on the roof of the clapped-out Morris. It all turned out fine. So much so that she is now about to have her own child.

And there was the time when Number One Son, aged about two, bellowed from the back of the car, “Ahh fuck – you idiot!” I’d just slammed on the brakes, inspiring him to speak with perfect intonation in precise mimicry of ... words I may have previously uttered from behind the wheel in a similar situation.

Which brings me to something Number Two Daughter, a nearly-teen, said in the car a few months ago.


Read the opinion piece by Paul Daley from The Guardian - “My daughter is right: our generation is wrecking the world for hers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment