12 June, 2018

My week without plastic in the kitchen

The two objectives were simple. First, I had to take stock of how much plastic was used to package my family's supermarket groceries. Second, I needed to find ways and means to avoid buying food wrapped in plastic. We gave ourselves a week to work out how much plastic the family was using and to try to find plastic-free alternatives.
The most consistent plastic-free environment for fruit
and veg are farmers' markets. Just remember to
tote your reusable shopping bags, too.
 
I started by pushing the trolley through the supermarket. Basics only. Fresh food. Fruit and veg. Milk and bread. Beef, fish, chicken and something for school lunches. The rule was if it was conveniently wrapped in plastic it would go in the trolley rather than have loose potatoes rock around to the beat of a wobbly wheel.


Read the story by Richard Cornish from Good Food in The Age - “My week without plastic in the kitchen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment