25 July, 2016

Unseasonably warm weather unsettles Queensland's winegrowers

Mike Hayes says unseasonably warm
weather is a worry for
growers on Queensland's Granite Belt.
Warm winter weather is causing worry for wine growers on southern Queensland's Granite Belt.

The cool climate Granite Belt has experienced its warmest July day on record, with 22 degrees recorded at Stanthorpe last week, and the warm weather was wreaking havoc with the vines.

Mike Hayes from Symphony Hill Wines said the warmer conditions presented a serious challenge for growers.

"I was pruning the vines out at the winery and while I was pruning I thought I was completely overdressed, I kept stripping down my clothes and I probably could have been wearing shorts and a singlet," he said.

"July is our coldest month, this is our brass monkey season, this is when the tourists come here, but this is the trend worldwide and global warming is here and it's quite scary. Not only here in Stanthorpe but all over Australia and the world," he said

Read the ABC Rural story - “Winter warms up in Queensland's wine growing region.”

No comments:

Post a Comment